Wednesday, April 3, 2013

#nailartmar


At the beginning of March, I decided to participate in a nail art challenge that was hosted by @californails on Instagram. I thought I'd share them here, so they can be all in one place!  And so I can tell you a little bit about how I created them.


This is a little bit image heavy, so I'm going to use a jump.  Click to see the nail art! :)


Chevron

To create this, I used ORLY Liquid Vinyl and Julep Rebel.  I used scotch tape and striping tape to try to get some straight lines.  This was my first time attempting a chevron mani, and I think it turned out okay.

Stripes

I'm not sure what I was going for here, but it kind of reminds me of a cupcake wrapper, haha.  I used OPI My Vampire is Buff as my base, Sinful Colors Candy Coated for the stripes, and OPI Lights of Emerald City as my glitter topcoat.  Even though this wasn't what I had planned, I think it still came out nice.

Gradient

This is my favorite gradient mani to date!  I just think this color combo is so gorgeous and elegant.  Love it!  It's probably my second fave mani from March.  I used OPI My Vampire is Buff as my base and sponged on OPI Oy-Another Polish Joke! for the gradient.


Color Block

This month was my first time really attempting different types of nail art, so there's a lot of firsts for me.  This is another one of them; my first time doing color block nails!  It's a bit messy, but I like these colors together.  ^^  For this one I used Sinful Colors Sugar Rush, Sinful Colors Cotton Candy, Sinful Colors Sweet Tooth, and Orly Liquid Vinyl.

Luck

I had a hard time thinking up something for this one, since it was right before the St. Patty's Day theme and I didn't want to repeat the same design.  But in the end, I did still end up with a four-leaf clover.  I also did dots because round things/circles are good luck in Chinese culture.  And the cloud mani accent nail was just because I couldn't think of something to put on that nail, lol.  The colors used were OPI My Vampire is Buff as base, OPI Jade is the New Black and China Glaze Re-Fresh Mint for the dots and clover, and China Glaze Starboard and China Glaze Re-Fresh Mint for the cloud mani.  As you can see, the color scheme did not turn out too well...China Glaze Re-Fresh Mint barely shows up.  

St. Patty's Day

I really like how this turned out!  Especially the dotticures!  The colors really compliment each other and look great together.  For the dotticures, I used China Glaze Def Defying, China Glaze Starboard, and OPI My Vampire is Buff in different combinations on my pinky and pointer fingers.  For my ring finger, I used Def Defying as my base and painted the clover with Starboard.  For my middle finger, I used Starboard as my base and painted the outline of the mug with Orly Liquid Vinyl.  I then mixed a little of My Vampire is Buff with China Glaze Trendsetter for the beer and painted foam with My Vampire is Buff.

Vintage

This one is my fave!!  I love everything about it...the colors are so pretty and the design is so cute, if I do say so myself! ;)  I've been wanting to try painting roses, and I think these came out great.  I used China Glaze For Audrey as my base for my pinky and index finger, and then I used OPI My Vampire is Buff to create the lace on my pinky and the dots on my index finger.  I also used My Vampire is Buff as my base for my ring and middle finger.  I then use China Glaze Something Sweet and a dotter tool to create the base of the roses on my pinky and used a brush to paint the stripes on my middle finger, and then I used American Apparel to add depth to the roses and to create the bow.  Finally I added leaves to the roses using China Glaze Starboard.

Swatch

Pretty self-explanatory.  This is a swatch of Color Club Halo Hues 2013 Beyond.  I will have a swatch post coming up soon for this one because it is amazingggg!  Love it!

Sparkles

I tried to do a glitter gradient, but my base and glitter were too close in color for you to really notice a difference/shift in color.  For this one I used only China Glaze: Flyin High' as my base and Blue Hawaiian for the glitter.

Floral

This one is so Spring-y!  I like how it came out and it's perfect for this time of year.  I used Sinful Colors Sugar Rush as my base.  I then used a dotter tool and Sinful Colors Sugar N Spice and Cotton Candy to create the flower.  I added stems, leaves, and grass with China Glaze Starboard and Def Defying.  Finally, I painted a little bumblebee with Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in Butterscotch, which I also used for the center of the flowers.  I added the black stripes with Orly Liquid Vinyl.

Pastel

Last, but not least, my first attempt at a splatter mani!  I'm not completely happy with it, but I love the colors together!  I used the straw method for the splatter, and it took me a bit to get the hang of it.  Once again, OPI My Vampire is Buff was used as my base.  Sinful Colors Sugar Rush and Sweet Tooth and China Glaze Something Sweet were used for the splatter.


I had a lot of fun participating in this challenge, so I'm going to do April's challenge too!  If you'd like to follow along, check out my Instagram.  You can also check out the hashtag #nailartapr to find amazing nail art by some really great nail artists. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...